Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Giant escape clause

It's official. Barry's back.
But the Giants have clearly hedged their bets on Barry making it through the season without a problem. His new contract, as reported by MLB.com and the San Francisco Chronicle, contains a clause that allows them to terminate his contract should he be indicted.
Bonds also won't be able to have his two trainers in the locker room, though in an interview on KNBR, he said they will get together outside the park. He's also said he won't have the big locker room setup as before.
Clearly, this is not the Barry that the Giants have coddled in the past. The Giants know that their $16 mil investment could disappear in an indictment, leaving them without their biggest bat and their left fielder.
Now that Barry's on board, let's assume for a moment that he is fully healthy. What's the likelihood he'll break the Aaron home run record?
In our minds, it'll be slim. For one, who's to say, given his spotty hitting last year, he'll be able to get the home runs he needs. For that matter, who's gonna pitch to him knowing the record's on the line?
The Giants took a big risk, both financially and otherwise, to bring Barry back. They obviously thought that $16 mil to be a sound investment.
We think that by the end of the season, the Giants will look back on this decision and wonder what they were thinking.

You tell us .... was it a good decision to bring Bonds back?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whomever the "we" is that you quote thinking this isn't a good investment is a complete knuckle-head. If it's just you, then you're a complete knucklehead (with all due respect, of course). I guess you didn't attend many second half games and witness a much healthier Bonds both at bat and in the field. I predict he'll hit > .300 with > 30 HR's. Sorry about that knucklehead(s).

ificandream said...

Yes, it was me, using the proverbial "we". And I stand by my prediction. I was a season ticket holder for three years before last season and saw Bonds go from being the most awesome bat in baseball to what we saw last year. Even near the end of the season, he wasn't close to being fully engaged, at least as I see it. My friends will tell you I've been a big Barry fan in past years. I have a lot of friends in the media who have covered him (and you know what they think of him), but I defended him in discussions with my friends. But I think those days are over. I'd love him to prove me wrong, though. Realistically, though, I don't think it'll happen.

Anonymous said...

You were a season ticketholder for 3 years BEFORE last season ... well that explains it. I've been a season ticketholder for many years INCLUDING last season. I know what I saw. In the second half, Barry was a very serviceable left fielder and he regained alot of the pop from prior years due to the fact that he was much stronger in his legs/knee. In the first half, he was swinging without much of his lower body. I feel sorry for you if you have friends in the media - I value their opinion and integrity as much as I value a terd in the sewer. Basically most don't like him and let that fact cloud their view of him and his accomplishments. They are a bunch of sniveling cowards that hide behind their pc and let their contempt for Barry get in the way of their professionalism and integrity. So I don't really give a s%$* that you're good buddies with them. That only calls into question your own integrity and grasp of the facts. Sorry about that knucklehead.

ificandream said...

I know what I saw, too. It wasn't the same Barry. Like I said, I'd love to be proven wrong. But after the last two seasons, I don't think it'll happen. There's no going backward.

And as for my media friends, I didn't agree with them then. And I still would argue many of the things they would say. But it should be obvious to anyone that $16 mil is too much to pay for the 2007 Barry Bonds.

Anonymous said...

How do you know??? You gave up your season tickets.

ificandream said...

I watched the games like any fan did. Just because you're a season ticket holder now doesn't make you more qualified to have an opinion.